< Return to Main Site
Kingston Maurward Estate is owned and run by Dorset County Council, the grounds of the main estate are also used by the Kingston Maurward Agricultural and Horticultural college and located 2 miles outside Dorchester. The estate and gardens are listed parkland and the formal gardens were designed by Sir Cecil and Lady Hanbury in 1914.
The main country house is licensed for wedding ceremonies and the conference suite can be used for wedding receptions. The house itself is a Georgian building clad in local Portland stone and built by George Pitt (cousin to William Pitt the Elder) in 1717. The country house is set in a parkland type landscape gardens with rolling lawn leading down to a scenic lake. The view from the lake back up toward the manor house is impressive.
The whole venue may be hired to cater for a lot of guests, alternatively sections of the main house can be used. On the Kingston Maurward estate is grade 1 listed Old Manor built in the 1590's and now functions as a hotel that can be booked for wedding party and guest accommodation (see related link below).
Also very nearby is Stinsford Church which has close ties with Thomas Hardy and where his heart is buried in the grave of his first wife Emma.
VenueMad Wedding Venues in and around Dorset
Text and Images Copyright © 2006-2020 All rights Reserved